Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 3: Roskilde/Copenhagen Part 1


This morning we couldn't eat breakfast at the hostel. The Ipho convention people were in line that not only went out the dining room but out the front doors of the hostel.We finally figured out what it was: the International  Physics Olympics. I've had jokes poked at me all day because my Dad and Uncle associate me with all of nerdom. 
Anyway, We went straight to the train and went to Roskilde, which is about 18 miles outside of Copenhagen. The royal family lives there. We stopped at a little coffee shop for breakfast after getting off the train. We toured the cathedral and it is the WestminsterAbbey of Denmark. Almost all the Danish monarchs are buried there. It was fantastic. Made of brick and glass, it was the height of technology at the time it was built. There were hints of the animosity between the swedes and the danes, for example Queen Margrete I's dress was stolen by the swedes during a war. The original dress is on display in a museum in Sweden, while a replica is in the cathedral.
After the cathedral we headed to the Viking Ship Museum. It was like being a kid in a candy store for me, I love history and who doesn't find the Vikings fascinating. There were parts of 5 ships that had been sunk to protect the harbor in viking times. They had the parts along a fame so you could see what they would have looked like.  They also had replicas of the ships built that were actually floating next to docks around the museum. You were allowed to climb on them, so of course I did. There was also rope maker, blacksmith, and weever showing how the vikings would've done things. It was one of the things I had been looking forward to and it surpassed my expectations. 
Alright if you read my bloggers note here's the explanation of m injury. As we were walking back toward the train station to get lunch I twisted my ankle. I know what you're thinking, oh a twisted ankle just walk it off. Only thing is that it was my bad ankle. Now as I lay here in bed, it still hurts like heck and is a serious pain to walk on. I didn't actually eat pavement when I twisted it though so that's good at least.Now moving on to happier things...
We had another picnic, we sat at a truly bright orange picnic table in the square of Roskilde. After lunch, which was at about 2pm, we got back on the train to Copenhagen. Our next destination: Tivoli, which I shall tell you all about tomorrow because it is now after midnight and I need sleep. 
 By the way feel free to comment so I know someone is reading and if you have any questions I'll answer them.

3 comments:

  1. Get well soon.
    What flavor of giant cupcake was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was chocolate, with what tasted like a Nutella frosting.

    ReplyDelete